Mod update on the big single

Go down

Mod update on the big single

Post by theyank on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am

Yes, I did some stuff to the MT03. No, not much of it worked...

First up, the handle bars have been lifted and I've put some serious foam grips over the ends. This helps quite a bit with vibrations, but kills my teeny hands when it comes to pulling in the clutch. Sacrifices must be made. I've ordered some cheep dual sport "gel" grips (used for motocross bikes) that are supposedly like 6 mil skinnier around and do the same anti-vibe deed.

I gutted the seat and put in some high-density gel. I don't know if this has done much for the vibe, but it's comfy af. I also added SORBOTHANE rubber pads to mount it onto the bike on all the connection points

I'm taking no prisoners, here. Shock absorbing gel insoles.

CUE THE FAIL!!!
Bought a new sprocket in order to change the gearing. All was going well and then we tried to put it on the bike. At 4,000 miles, this bike just hasn't seen enough wear to "break in the chain" and it's still so new that it won't fit over the sprocket. So basically I just have to do some more miles on this thing in order to fucking wear the chain in a bit until it's looser. Once that happens, I will def be trying the sprocket to see if that changes the RPM where the vibe is at it's worst.

Just in case any of that managed to work, I added a nobbly tire to the back of it to make sure that it's as "agricultural" as possible and just pile on some more vibrations.

The standard exhaust has come off as well, which fucked the whole weighting of the bike up. I think that end can weighed about 15 kilos (not kidding) on it's own in order to deafen the CONSTANT backfires. I started the bike up this weekend at a show and set off someone else's alarm, so I'm gonna say now it's a lot louder. Better for vibration? No. Better for being a total nuisance? Yes sir.

Next up:
- Tank mod to hold a tank bag (I'm going to stick wheel weights to the tank as they are magnetic, and hope the sticky shit is strong enough for a tank bag)
- Paint the damn thing so it doesn't look so new and ripe for stealing
- Soften the suspension which is no longer as pleasant since the exhaust was removed.
- RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE until that new sprocket fits on.
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mod update on the big single

Post by virusjohn on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:58 am

I wouldnt use wheel weights, some pikey fuck will screwdriver them off and weigh them in for the lead.

virusjohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thefastestMelv on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 am

I remember a time when people used to make sure THEY had a full tank so VJ could "borrow" some fuel to get home lol.

Bike looks better already.

thefastestMelv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:01 pm

virusjohn wrote:I wouldnt use wheel weights,  some pikey fuck will screwdriver them off and weigh them in for the lead.

theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by june_whitfield on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 pm

congratulations on that shitty rear carrier, it really helps to make the bike look more awful!

PS. since when are wheel weights magnetic?
they are made from lead and sticky tape, neither substance being known for magnetic attraction.
The pikeys steal them to weigh in the sticky tape at the Blue Peter office, and then they boil the lead into crack marihuana pills.

june_whitfield
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:11 pm

june_whitfield wrote:
they are made from lead and sticky tape, neither substance being known for magnetic attraction.

Wheel weights aren't made from lead anymore, old men. That's not health & safety approved. They are steel nowadays, and very magnetic (confirmed by placing a magnetic on my newly balanced wheels after my tire change). So I plan on making a good solid square of them on the 4 parts of the tank where my tank bag would hit.

Might fail miserably, but it's worth a shot.
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twofiddy on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Lead wheel weights!?!?! THINK OF THE WHALES!!!!!

twofiddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm

On my tiger 900 I fitted a genuine triumph chain & sprocket set, rather than an aftermarket set. the difference seemed to be taht the Triumph one had a cush drive (ie, a massice rubber centre) in the front sprocket. the result was a massive reduction in vibes once it was fitted.
Since then I try to get upmarket front sprockets with a cushdrive built in, much less vibes

Big Chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Yep, already rocking that my friend. Normally I have it on the closest setting with extra small renthall slim grips (the thinnest ones you can get) and that just about works. With the grip puppies, it’s made the grips fatter so my thumb is further away from the clutch lever and I have to really extend my hand to pull it in. #girlproblems
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoo on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Bar risers are a bit high, aren't they?
And I still think the barendweights are to small/light.

Do chains need breaking in? I thought they just wear and should fit from new.

voodoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 pm

They must fit them with the smallest chains possible at the factory, because there is zero room to make it any looser... hopefully after a bit more stretching it will bit over a new sprocket.

Bar end weights are def over 500g each.

And the bar risers are stooopid high. But I love them and so comfy! Plus it gives the bike a lot more “road presence” (totally a biker term right? I sound like I know what I’m saying right?)
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spotarama on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 pm

hint - to stretch the chain a bit quicklier, over tighten it and ride...works a treat. i know this as i have shagged several chains from brand new by doing this
spotarama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by june_whitfield on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 am

theyank wrote:
june_whitfield wrote:

Wheel weights aren't made from lead anymore, old men. That's not health & safety approved. They are steel nowadays, and very magnetic (confirmed by placing a magnetic on my newly balanced wheels after my tire change). So I plan on making a good solid square of them on the 4 parts of the tank where my tank bag would hit.

Might fail miserably, but it's worth a shot.

fancy that.
i have a whole buch of wheel weights here and they're all lead

come to think of it, why aren't they made of depleted uranium?
ideal material, even heavier than lead but not as soft, and with the global move away from nuclear power there should be plenty of the stuff around!

june_whitfield
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Mouse_ on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:49 pm

spotarama wrote:hint - to stretch the chain a bit quicklier, over tighten it and ride...works a treat. i know this as i have shagged several chains from brand new by doing this
Yep!
theyank wrote:They must fit them with the smallest chains possible at the factory, because there is zero room to make it any looser... hopefully after a bit more stretching it will bit over a new sprocket.

Protip #1: Chains don't stretch, they wear out.
Protip #2: Stop using that word, stop it now. You sound retarded.  

There may be an initial settling period as grease is expelled from mating surfaces as they seat together properly etc because your feeble human hands cant apply much force when fitting it but they do not stretch.
For a chain to stretch it means the metal has been taken beyond it's elastic limit and permanently deformed and that would most likely result in catastrophic failure. ie it snaps.
What is occurring is the chain pins and links are wearing away through normal use making the chain overall a bit longer. This takes a long time and once it goes beyond a critical amount this wear accelerates and the life of the chain is over. This is noted by having to adjust the chain more frequently than when it was new. When I used to commute on a fail driven, sorry chain driven bike I used to order a new chain if I had to adjust for wear more frequently than once every thousand miles because that meant the chain was just about fucked at that point and I only had a few weeks left of reliable motoring. And as spotarama suggests this accelerated wear can be triggered by fitting the chain incorrectly in the first place, it's an expensive lesson to learn and very subtle to notice as spotarama has noted as he experienced it himself several times before noticing it.
Also because the metal of the pins is wearing away they are not as strong and the chain progressively gets weaker as this happens. If you're feeling super retarded you'll take a few links out of a badly worn chain to make it fit again but this is usually followed by a story about how your engine is 'so powerful' it snapped the chain when you went to the shops a few weeks later. I've known two people do this and gladly I don't ride with them any more.

_Mouse_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:56 pm

_Mouse_ wrote:
If you're feeling super retarded you'll take a few links out of a badly worn chain to make it fit again but this is usually followed by a story about how your engine is 'so powerful' it snapped the chain when you went to the shops a few weeks later. I've known two people do this and gladly I don't ride with them any more.

its ok you can stop being a pussy now I've converted to shaft drive Razz

virusjohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Mouse_ on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:38 pm

We'll have to get together and play with each others shafties.

_Mouse_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by june_whitfield on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:36 am

_Mouse_ wrote:

Protip #1: Chains don't stretch, they wear out.
Protip #2: Stop using that word, stop it now. You sound retarded.  

......... TL, DR.........

ore.

ha! finally, THE TRUTH comes out!

Mouse is Mr Loobman!

no wonder i've never seen both of them in the same place at the same time?

june_whitfield
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twofiddy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am

june_whitfield wrote:
ha! finally, THE TRUTH comes out!

Mouse is Mr Loobman!

Isn't that why he invented his patented "Lubesuit"?

Or was that for a different kind of purpose altogther?

D-:

twofiddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

spotarama wrote:hint - to stretch the chain a bit quicklier, over tighten it and ride...works a treat. i know this as i have shagged several chains from brand new by doing this

THis overloads your gearbox mainshaft bearing and if you're really unlucky can crack the casing around the mainshaft bearing housing

Big Chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rolandrat on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:09 pm

you could also gently remove some material from the swing arm, thus allowing the shorter chain to fit. I've done that before, sometimes you only need to remove a tiny amount to let the wheel move backwards further.

Or get a chain wot is 2 links longer than stock would also work, but its a bit too late for that now I guess

Don't be tempted to try to force it on

rolandrat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magnamaniac on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm

or a rear sprocket which is 1 tooth smaller

magnamaniac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Or a different bike.
Or a cAr.
Sorry scratch
Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Guys guys guys... I'm not going to stretch my chain by over-tightening it! (yeah, that's right Mouse - I said stretch!) I'm also not gonna add a link or put in a new chain or anything else - that sounds like it takes time/ effort. I was going for the "I'll just ride it til it's a bit looser" angle.

Also, screw you Hoon. I'm not getting a new bike or a different bike or an old bike or a twin or a car or a tractor or a fucking airplane!
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 pm

what magna chris said. smaller rear sprocket. -3 teeth on the back is about the same as +1 on the front

virusjohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:55 am

For your levers, another option is to heat and bend your handlebar levers so they are closer to your hands. You do need to apply plenty heat or else they'll snap, but that will only cost you a few quid and not much time.

Big Chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:05 pm

If I move my levers any closer to the bars, I won't be able to actually pull the clutch in because the lever end will hit the bar before it's fully opened up.

With the foam bar add ons, this is worse. The bigger the grips, the further away the clutch level has to be, because it will hit the bar sooner.

I honestly can't tell if this makes any sense. I envy all you large-handed individuals who never have to consider such a thing.
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Oh well, I'm out of ideas, except for......

Get Nate to install a semi automatic clutch conversion. No need for a clutch lever at all.

If it's any consolation, I envy you average heighted individuals the ability to buy clothes and shoes in normal shops, to fit into any car you like, build viable campervans from smaller donor vehicles, fit into an economy class seat, etc etc

Big Chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thefastestMelv on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:31 am

I have the same problem as you with my skinny weak ass hands.
I can't use any sort of wrap around heated grips or ride in winter gloves at all

Sent from Topic'it App

thefastestMelv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twofiddy on Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm

thefastestMelv wrote:I have the same problem as you with my skinny weak ass hands.
I can't use any sort of wrap around heated grips or ride in winter gloves at all

Sent from Topic'it App

@ Melv. Surely the question is what type of chain oil should she use? I heard old engine oil is a load of wank.

twofiddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thefastestMelv on Tue May 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Hahahaha.
Yeah apparantly so.
I've had loads of fun with a guy telling me I can't tow a trailer because even though the V5 says 125 the engine is actually 124.7.
The mental case.....

Sent from Topic'it App

thefastestMelv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum