Warning: Long Vehicle.

Go down

Warning: Long Vehicle.

Post by esox on Sun May 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Take an already difficult to handle motorcycle (top heavy, long, stretched-out riding position, feck-all steering lock, levers hit fairing etc) and make it even worse by pulling a 2-metre long load carrying rear appendage..
Actually, i hardly notice it`s there whilst riding but if i ever have to do an about-turn then forget it - i`d have to plan an alternative route via satnav rather than attempt to turn the fecker around in the road. It`s bad enough solo..
Length is about 20mm under the legal limit of 2.5M from the rear axle.
Initial road testing complete, one or two fine-tuning jobs to do though. Still at that slightly nervous stage wondering whether anything will break, fracture, fall off or develop into a fatal tank-slapper wobble.
I loaded it up with some appropriate ballast and it was fine, the pitbike may be a different kettle of rice krispies though as it`ll put the c of g a lot higher.
Mrs Esox said it looks `shit`. The seal of approval, then..

esox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warning: Long Vehicle.

Post by june_whitfield on Mon May 28, 2018 8:15 am

it looks shit.

also, the right angles at the front and the skinniness of swingarm look worry-inducing

june_whitfield
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn on Mon May 28, 2018 9:25 am

no no no take it apart and do it again, that looks neither unstable or unevenly balanced and likely to skip around on the road resulting in intermittent tankslappers like the old doom trailer. Razz

virusjohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris on Mon May 28, 2018 2:18 pm

It is long isn't it.

Does the cargo bed flex in the middle? If It doesn't I expect you to carry either additional beer or joyriders untli it does.

Does it have a linked braking system?

Big Chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by esox on Mon May 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Although the swingarm does look a bit skinny it`s made from 25mm square 3mm wall tube - very strong - and braced with the load centre shared between each side. That`s the least of my concerns with this thing..
Yep, the right angle hook-up does not look an elegant design but again - 4mm wall steel tube welded the fuck together. I like to think any design inadequacies have been overcome with the sheer heft of materials.
I do wish i had used heavy-duty steel for the main `chassis` under the load bed though instead of an old sofa bed frame! I put bracing straps in for extra support. Oh dear, it is starting to sound cobbled together now isn`t it..
Tow hitch load is ~65kg fully laden, heavy but no more than a lightweight pillion.
It`s loaded with the pitbike now waiting for the next test.....

The CBR has linked brakes, the trailer nos none.
The length probably helps with stability? (and it is very stable)

There will be NO rides on this thing until it`s been well-proven (50,000+ miles).
esox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord on Mon May 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Sweet, nicely done- I look forward to seeing it in person later this week Very Happy
Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thefastestMelv on Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am

Awesome...... Hopefully I'll be bringing the doom trailer with me.....

Attached to a chinese 125 scooter that never made to its 1st MOT in 2007 and has ridden a grand total of 2 miles to the MOT station and back......

What could possibly go wrong.

thefastestMelv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris on Tue May 29, 2018 12:18 pm

thefastestMelv wrote:Awesome...... Hopefully I'll be bringing the doom trailer with me.....

Attached to a chinese 125 scooter that never made to its 1st MOT in 2007 and has ridden a grand total of 2 miles to the MOT station and back......

What could possibly go wrong.

Do you have a backup plan?

Big Chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn on Tue May 29, 2018 2:47 pm

the barrel is deffo not the doom trailer, the barrel tows beautifully. the doom trailer I made for deathtrap had an uncanny ability to tankslapper at any speed intermittently and also do a fuckin ace job at making a crate of bodingtons so shook up you couldnt open a can for 45 mins.

virusjohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum