Surgery update

Go down

Surgery update

Post by theyank on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 am

For those of you not on FB, just an update that I had surgery yesterday on my left foot. I have genetic bone defects in both feet where my little toe bone has been growing wrong, creating extra bone growth on the outside of my foot. This means shoes are painful to wear and stress on my foot (including riding a bike) has become pretty unbearable. I've left this longer than I should in my left foot and because the bone has grown so weird I also had a compound stress fracture (from walking?) and a large bursa.

There were several complications, unfortunately. They couldn't find a vein for my antibiotics IV so I am on a course of oral antibiotics. More importantly, they weren't able to find the nerve in the back of the knee in order to administer anaesthetic for a long-term nerve block. This means that there as soon as the local anaesthetic wears off (which it now has), I feel the full force of pain from the surgery. After 5 min of searching for the vein with the needle I started to go into a-fib so they had to stop looking. MOST importantly, during the surgery the extent of the damage was worse than they thought (mostly bc the NHS lost 3 of my xrays ahead of time). Due to the extent of the stress fracture and size of bursa they have taken off more bone then expected and used 3 screws (instead of the standard 2 pins). Surgery took longer than expected as well, which has put my body under more stress.

Doc has put me on 8 weeks of bed rest. Like that will happen... BUT after 8 weeks of healing I should be in a lot less pain long term, at least until I have to have the right foot done Wink

tL;DR: bla bla bla I'm in a lot of pain, bla bla bla aggravated by not being able to do anything .... send help.
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Surgery update

Post by Monglord on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:15 am

8 weeks in bed? Sounds like heaven.

Although in reality- not really, it does sound like a good long break from work though.

Plenty of time to practise some meditation, heal fast.
Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoo on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 pm

That sounds nasty. I wish you a quick recovery!

voodoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down