UK family holiday suggestions wanted

Go down

UK family holiday suggestions wanted

Post by voodoo on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Starting to plan our 2019 summer holiday ("our" being me, the missus and our youngest son (13)) and we are looking for nice places in England or Wales. Prefarably nice scenery, castles, mansions and stuff, but not to many eton-kids-with-parents-compensating-with-quality-time and/or blue-rinsers. Any suggestions?

I've been to Blackpool and Ile of Sheppey allready, so don't bother.......

How about Norfolk Broads for instance?

voodoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: UK family holiday suggestions wanted

Post by Monglord on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Norfolk Broads is good if you fancy hiring a boat for a few days, good for a chill-out- visit a castle and pub or two.
Try and avoid filling the diesel tank of your vessel with water though- don't ask me how I know not to do this though Wink

Have you been to the Isle of Wight before? (off the south coast of England) If not I'd recommend it highly, lots of beaches/ history/ beautiful countryside- basically loads to do and see in a small area.

I don't know Wales well but there'd be plenty of what you seek there.
Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoo on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Ty mister Hoon. Never been to the IoW, I'll check the interwebs for campsites and stuff overthere.

voodoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 am

The IoW is very chilled out and I can personally recommend Compton Farm campsite, it's old school bare bones but all the better for it.
It's on a working farm (I recommend the early morning tractor/ trailer tour of the farm with the farmer or his wife ( Wink ) in the quieter SE part of the island with a beach within an easy walk (scramble down the cliffs to access it) and you can walk from the campsite to some stunning views from the highest points of the island.
https://www.caravansitefinder.co.uk/parks/view/1630-compton-farm

Max and I went to this campsite 3 yrs running, the rates are reasonable and it's not overcrowded by any means- the fish & chip van that visits the site on a Thursday is also recommended Smile

Growing up my family and I must have gone to the IoW for about 15 yrs running, there's a great variety of attractions and it's all packed within a 21 by 14 mile island.

This is my favourite beach area, no tacky arcades and not overcrowded- Bembridge:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bembridge+Beach/@50.694167,-1.0889513,17.39z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48745fc27abca071:0x744746fe405d520f!8m2!3d50.6937591!4d-1.081596

If you do go and want suggestions of things to do whilst there just ask.
Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:02 am

I loved the Lake District. Very rural and "olde worlde." Some castles, great camping, lovely roads. If you're into hiking/ walking, it has some awesome hike. Plus on the lakes there are great boat rides to take that are really beautiful. I spent a lot of time on Ullswater one summer learning to sail, so can give some other ideas if you like Smile

I'm also a bit partial to the Derbyshire Peak District myself, but maybe that's because it's close to home and Nate and I spend a LOT of time there riding. Chatsworth is beautiful.

I also fell in love with Snowdonia, and the Forest of Dean down that way. Sowndonia has quite a lot to offer in the way of "things to do" and campgrounds etc. I'm a woods girl myself (not so much of a seaside person), so I always gravitate to these kinds of places Wink
theyank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:34 am

Lake District is stunning.

Have you read (or seen the film) Swallows and Amazons?
It's set in the Lakes and is a favourite childhood (and now) series of books of mine based on sailing and exploring- I'm thinking you've at least heard of it.

Didn't know you sailed, something we can chat about next time we're at a Doo.

How's the foot coming on?
Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:51 am

Voodoo- down south in the IoW area but on the mainland there's the New Forest with campsites and the Beaulieu Motor museum.
Also in Hampshire (the area I'm talking about) is the Sammy Miller motorcycle museum but I know you like 'bike' related things to be separate from family things- just an idea.

My only experience of camping in the New Forest is feeding Newcastle Brown Ale to the free- roaming dreadlocked donkeys that wandered through the campsite- my excuse is that I was 18 at the time Rolling Eyes

I suppose if you were that far south in the UK you could check out Dorset (Lulworth Cove is v pretty), Devon and Cornwall then work your way to Wales depending on how much time you had and how far you wanted to go.

I don't know Devon and Cornwall at all well but hope to maybe go next year with Max, especially as Cheers Gary on here should be settled down that way by then on his freeholding.

Of course it goes without saying that you could drop in and visit me in Fobbing if you're passing close enough on your way and it fits with your plans, it's kind of on the way if you're doing the south coast.
Monglord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoo on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:23 pm

IoW really does look nice!

As does the Lake District, but when I was there on the bike a few years ago I found it a bit dull. But the scenery is magnificent! Really enjoyed Honister pass (amongst others).

Snowdownia looks excellent too. Been there once, on the bike, in the snow... luckily I knew someone in Nottingham....

I've got som googeling to do. Thanks for the reply Leigh and Hoon!

voodoo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by june_whitfield on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Blackpool

you know you want to!

june_whitfield
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down