Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just checking in

4 posters

Go down

just checking in Empty just checking in

Post by rolandrat Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 pm

kids have started school, we've bought a house, all the usual shite Smile

There are mutterings of a second attempt at the stella alpina next summer, anyone else fancy it? it's 2 days gentle ride from here

Love n pie

R

rolandrat

Back to top Go down

just checking in Empty Re: just checking in

Post by Monglord Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Cool, glad it's going well- settled in well?

Hmm, will have to look at dates for the Stella- definitely fancy it still.
You're near the Black Forest, reachable from Blighty in a day methinks.

So that's :
NI Ratfest
Spanish Rat doo
Stella Alpina
DHR
Each one is kinda a once a yr thing for me with childcare issues (Shut it VJ), I've got the Dragon out of my system for a while... that was this yrs one- I've done the DHR so it's Stella/ Ireland or Spain really although DHR could be done along with another biggy at a squeeze given the right circumstances.
Suppose it all depends on how many people can commit to something in advance, if you and VJ are up for the Stella I'll have a serious think about it.

Toothbrushes for everyone dahlinks!
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Look:
https://www.guidedmotorbiketours.co.uk/tours/stellaalpinarally/

For a grand we could follow the leader and have most of the thinking done for us....

So it's early July it seems- a slightly late b'day prezzie to myself maybe.
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Ive had the urge to try again ever since we got back too and tbh Im deffo overdue a long holiday on a motorbike again.

Fuck it, pencil me in as a maybe, It'd be nice to come and see your new digs, play in the black forest and finally finish the alpina a few years later than expected. I'll have a look at making more serious plans when Ive got the time to map a route etc.

virusjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Then of course there's the Elefant or AltesElefant which I'm sort of saving 'til Max is in his mid teens to do- not totally sure why, might be persuaded to do it before then if it works out though.

This kind of appeals too:
http://motorang.com/tauerntreffen2017/index.htm
Been watching it over the last few yrs and thinking I fancy it for some reason, even spent a few nights thinking of how to make my own snow chains- I'm sure Greg knows people or goes himself/ can get us an invite or something along those lines.

Stella- we'll have to discuss plans/ route/ dates/ timing etc, the actual doo looks cool with it's relative remoteness and lack of organisation and the scenery looks stunning of course.
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 am

Meant to ask Roland- how's the bike situation?
Had any good rides?
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by rolandrat Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm about as definate for the stella as I can be this far away Smile

Settling in ok, we've got a move in date for the house which'll be good Smile

Bike situation is that I have a year to get the zed thru the Tuv. I've not done a fuck of a lot of riding really, though there are some awesome roads! Essentially the plan currently is to just buy a german bike next spring (the sale of the uk house is timely to say the least!) and treat the registration of the zed as an amusing long term hobby which I will persevere with until the local Tuv oiks give up and issue the damn certificate

rolandrat

Back to top Go down

Post by rolandrat Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 pm

VJ - I've done leicester to here in a day on the bike, I'd not reccommend it but it's possible! If you're going to do that though I'd suggest giving yourself at least a day here to hoon around the neighbourhood, the scenery and roads really are stunning. My vague plan was to leaver here on the thursday morning, have a leisurely 2 days ride over to the stella to get there friday night. couple of beers fri night followed by an attempt on the pass on the saturday with more beers saturday night and roll back home to be back home in germany on the monday afternoon/evening

rolandrat

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Yeah i think id push it in a day. Ill have to think about it but i wouldnt mind spending a day just over the border in the vosages,a day meeting up with you and heading to stella, a sunday run up the hill as thats the day. Then a day playing on your local routes before heading back via beer in belgium.

Commendable 'eccentric brit' attitude to tuv on the zandit btw, ill get you a beer or 2 when i see it on a german plate lol

virusjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by rolandrat Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:09 pm

you know that the pricey beer here is nearly 1 euro a litre in the supermarket right?

:p

R

rolandrat

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Yeah but i wanna haul of some particularly hard to get in the uk kinda stuff lol

virusjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by rolandrat Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

well, if you're talking a kilo of tetley teabags......

rolandrat

Back to top Go down

Post by der_nanno Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Having seen the scenery around Roland's place recently and obviously never having done the Stella AND July being a very good time for me (Uni already over for the Summer term): I'd definitely consider a weekend or the like to be spent on the Stella Alpina. (As it's only 6 to 8 hours from my place to get to Roland's, but I might expand that to a full day and enjoy the ride to the fullest...)

@Monglord: Tauerntreffen is quite a call, haven't been there the last few years, even though I am still assisting with the odd translation and stuff. Snow-chains can either be bought from an incredibly lovely old couple, who custom make them for your bike (and will stuff you full with cake and coffee (you wouldn't want what they call tea overhere), Google for Staudacher Schneeketten ) or just buy a set car snow-chains and alter them to suit. Tauerntreffen is nothing like Elefantentreffen or the like, as there's hardly any alcohol or big parties, so it's really just about experiencing some very friendly people very, very high up a mountain.

Cheers,
Greg

der_nanno

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanks Greg, yeah I've been looking at the pics now for the last few years- the odd Brit seems to attend every now and then it seems.

It does seem like a nice small doo with some interesting bikes/ outfits- one for the 'maybe one day' list.
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum