Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are solid wheels like in the wind?

+2
Monglord
Big Chris
6 posters

Go down

What are solid wheels like in the wind? Empty What are solid wheels like in the wind?

Post by Big Chris Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 am

Solid wheels. they look the bollox.

But are they a nightmare in the wind? on the on hand, the pressure of wind applied directly to a wheel will move the bike across the road. On the otherhand, the wheels make up a relatively small portion of the side-on silhouette of the bike, so the action of the wind is marginal at best.

What is the experience of those of you who have ridden with solid wheels?

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

What are solid wheels like in the wind? Empty Re: What are solid wheels like in the wind?

Post by Monglord Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Uncle Nate is yer man, iirc he normally goes with just a disc rear- must be better than both as I suspect it affects steering with a disc on the front.

Edit: Think of the unsprung weight!!!!!!!! (and dolphins)
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

What are solid wheels like in the wind? Empty Re: What are solid wheels like in the wind?

Post by voodoo Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Monglord wrote:

Edit: Think of the unsprung weight!!!!!!!! (and dolphins)

Carbonfibre wheel discscs!!!!! (and dolphins)

voodoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Nate's vid uses an old road sign as a disc, which seems heavy. And the introduction of wheeliebins means no more old round dustbin lids available these days.

I was thinking of using 1mm or 1.5mm thick black HDPE sheet. at least it would be light

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by esox Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Rear - unnoticeable.
Front - noticeable.

There`s always a slightly perceptible feeling i get when i use the front wheel with the disc on it, it just has a feeling like you know it`s on there, not quite as `planted` as without, a bit vague..
It`s most noticeable when following a large HGV (too closely, probably) in the `dirty` air behind when the front feels a bit wavery.
Not so bad that i would immediately take the disc off, though.
Some folk have felt no difference at all so you`ll just have to try and see - too many variables..
esox
esox

Back to top Go down

Post by twofiddy Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 am

I have both filled on my current bike, the front being a 19" so it's quite a big area and for the most part it's fine.  I do notice strong side winds slightly more in general and when they shove me about the bike gets pushed from the bottom rather than the top which can feel unnerving to begin with.

However the one time I have found it to create a real brown trousers moment is when I am leaning right over into a bend AND get hit by a VERY strong side wind from the same side that I am leaning. It had the effect of making the front end feel suddenly and unpredictably light and the bike wanting to go straight on. That said I think it's happened all of 3 times in all the years I've had filled wheels.

Regarding weight I've used all manner of stuff, aluminium, wood, solid plastic, metal/plastic laminate, hollow plastic and fibreglass. When riding I couldn't tell any difference between any of them.

twofiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Latest BSH has 2 hipster bikes with solid wheels.

Will they acknowledge the ratbike riders as early trendsetters?

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by june_whitfield Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:06 am

Big Chris wrote:Latest BSH has 2 hipster bikes with solid wheels.

As much as I like to shit on hipsters, solid wheel covers go way back to 1940s bobbers or even earlier.
Not to mention the standard solid wheels on some Harleys....
june_whitfield
june_whitfield
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 am

june_whitfield wrote:
Big Chris wrote:Latest BSH has 2 hipster bikes with solid wheels.

As much as I like to shit on hipsters, solid wheel covers go way back to 1940s bobbers or even earlier.
Not to mention the standard solid wheels on some Harleys....

Bugger.

Oh well, if I like the look of solid wheels I'll fit a cover anyway. Chances are I'll follow the advice here and just fit a cover to the rear wheel

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum