Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ratbike Scotland Tour

3 posters

Go down

Ratbike Scotland Tour Empty Ratbike Scotland Tour

Post by Big Chris Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am

A few months back I floated the idea of a camping tour of Scotland.
The ideal months to do it in are April or May, as the annoying midgies come out in June and roads get intensely busy during school holidays.
If you want to do such a trip, say so soon, and we can set aside dates in the diary.
I won't be offended if there are zero takers

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Ratbike Scotland Tour Empty Re: Ratbike Scotland Tour

Post by magnamaniac Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 pm

well, me and the missus will be in scotland for a biketrip from may18-25, but since she absolutely hates (wild)camping and her body can't handle the combo of being on the bike all day and not sleeping in a comfortable bed, we won't be joining if it would be in the same week.
Do you have some places we really should go and see/ride?
We've been in Scotland several times now, but usually in/around the inverness/Cairngorns area, since we have friends there.

magnamaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:03 pm

My favourite biking road is to Kyle Of Lochalsh. You get onto that road either at a village called Invermoriston (at Loch Ness) , or at a village called Invergarry.
(The place name prefix of "Inver" means "mouth of a river", so a village called Inver is where a river joins the sea or flows into a loch)
The town of Kyle of Lochalsh used to be the ferry port to the island of Skye, but now there is a large road bridge to Skye and no ferry. So, if you have driven to Kyle of Lochalsh you have the option of spending a night on Skye. Skye is incredibly popular nowadays so you must book accommodation in advance.

Another very good biking route runs from Inverness to Ullapool, and from there Northwards up the Coast to Durness.

In general I advise bikers to avoid the A9, which is the main road from Perth to Inverness, and from Inverness Northwards up to John O'Groats. That road is heavily policed. Also Avoid the main coast road from Dundee to Aberdeen, which is also heavily policed.

If you want to get to Inverness from the South follow the route of Perth>Blairgowrie>Braemar>Tomintoul>Granton on Spey>Forres>Inverness.

If you do go to Skye (which is on the West coast) The main road through Fort William is a nice route to get up to the Highlands. If you have plenty time you can go via a pretty costal town called Oban, but if not, going via Glencoe is spectacular scenery.

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by esox Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Invergarry is where i had to turn back a couple of years ago on my way to Redfogs doo because of stator trouble..

I camped by Loch Oich.
I`ve just noticed that just to the south is `Loch Lochy` - surely that should now be Loch Lochy Mc Lochface?
esox
esox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down