Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping / overnight stays

Go down

Camping / overnight stays Empty Camping / overnight stays

Post by theyank on Fri May 15, 2020 12:18 pm

Anyone know of any fields/ camping areas in England? Nate and I usually camp at friendly pubs (or visit friends), but with pubs still being closed, that's a no-go. Thought I'd see if anyone here knew of any friendly farmers, fields, or even good wild-camp spots in England.

Wanting to get out for a responsible long ride ASAP. Let's be real - Nate and I never socialize, avoid cafe's like the plague, and only travel on B-Roads with the occiasional stop in a shitty layby so nothing changing there. It'd be great to travel further away from home than just 1 day takes. If anyone knows of any overnight spots that'd be sweet.

Still hoping to do a longer England/ Wales/ maybe Scotland tour later in the year once things have reopened, but that's way more likely to be like August time.
theyank
theyank

Back to top Go down

Camping / overnight stays Empty Re: Camping / overnight stays

Post by Monglord on Fri May 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Only Farmer Palmers really, as for wild camping it'd be the study google earth and a map job for me.

See if Nate remembers where we wild camped when we did some green laning some years back, that was ok or maybe off that lane you and he rode at the MBR Doo last year?

If and when you feel like it there's mine for a 'visit'.
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by spotarama on Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 am

Spotty having a freezeup all of his own
spotarama
spotarama

Back to top Go down

Post by spotarama on Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 am

And the fecking pics didn't work

Imagine, if you will, half a ton of freshly cut Holly tree burning like a guilty witch and many beers to watch with
spotarama
spotarama

Back to top Go down

Post by spotarama on Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 am

Camping / overnight stays 15902010
spotarama
spotarama

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:41 am

Did you find any campsites Leigh?

Our club in Edinburgh does a lot of wild camping in Scotland, where the laws over land access are slightly different. However, we still haven't managed to do an overnight trip away. The best I have done is doing a 280 mile round trip to get a new tyre. All the bike shops in my city (Edinburgh) were closed and their staff furloughed. However, a mate of mine runs a 1-man bike fixing shop in a small town in the Highlands. His business fell under the "keeping small businesses trading" scheme, so he was open and able to order a tyre for me.
I decided to treat the journey as a scouting mission to see if a wild camping trip was an option.
It was mid to late April. I rode there on one route, and returned a different way. What really surprised me was just how dead the small country towns in the Highlands were. In the cities the lockdown is in operation, but you see loads of people out and about, tradesmen seem to be doing a few jobs, there's enough traffic on the road that you have to pay attention. It's quiet, but you see plenty folks about. Whereas in the Highlands the small towns were quiet, dead, utterly silent, tumbleweed blowing through. What were normally busy transport hubs or tourist hotspots were closed up and utterly deserted. The traffic was 99% commercial vehicles, very few private cars. I found out that as recently as a week before the police had been intercepting cars and campervans etc, and sending them back to the cities. It only rained for about 30 miles of the 280 mile round trip, and riding the excellent Highland roads almost empty of traffic was great fun. I had a great day, and got a new tyre.
I don't know how different it is today from back then, I'll try to do another scouting trip to the Highlands soon, but our club still hasn't done any of our usual wild camping trip.
I'm interested to hear what your experiences are of finding a camping spot and getting away on bikes.

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoo on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Looks like all the peeps on here died of coronum sunny

voodoo

Back to top Go down

Post by theyank on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:55 pm

We didn't end up going wild camping, but Mick hooked us up with a lovely little spot in a back field of his mother in law's farm. It was fantastic to get away for a minute, although it only made me more wishful to be on tour.
theyank
theyank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down