Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics

3 posters

Go down

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics Empty My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics

Post by Big Chris Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I have Scott's old KLE500 and i am building it into a ratfighter styled big traillie survival bike. First task has been to fit a GPZ500S tank "because it was there" and it looked close enough that I could get it to fit. It is now on.

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30223641ay

I made a new front bracket to take the rubberry cup thingies which the old tank mounted on, just had to move them up a bit.

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30223640mi

And i welded a big long bit  of bar onto the old tanlk mounting pint and tapped it at M8 thread so it holds the back of the tank in place. What you can also see see are two  big areas of 10mm thick rubber pads that the tank sits on. I have test ridden it like this and I am chuffed. the tank is solidly mounted and there's a little "give" in the rubbers, but at all 3 points of contact it is rubber mounted.

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30223638yc

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30223693mg

Last edited by Big Chris on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting typos)

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics Empty Re: My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics

Post by twofiddy Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 am

You want a spare set of wheels for it? I'm about to toss a set out for the scrap man as nobody wants them.

twofiddy

Back to top Go down

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics Empty Re: My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics

Post by Big Chris Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am

If thy're any good then yes please, keep them if they're useable, I'll figure out a way of collecting them. I have family between Leeds and York so it's not impossible that I'll be in that area in a car at some point.
I have listed a whole lot of KLE parts on ebay, mostly the cosmetics I have removed. They are priced well below the stuff the breakers are selling and not had any bites. It seems there are so few KLEs out there that nobody wants 2nd hand bits.

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by twofiddy Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Same here, I couldn't sell any kle bits at all. Ended up chucking most of it. Wheels are lovely though so yeah if you can collect them preferably fairly soonish I'll hang on to them. I have two sets, the others have surface rust and don't look as nice. Got a pair of tyres for them as well road front and legal knobbly rear.

twofiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:28 am

Are you going to Apocalyptica? We could exchange numbers there. If you're in a real rush to get shot of them I could ask my Dad to collect them and store them at his. He is 72 though, so sorting that might take a while. What other KLE stuff do you have?

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:21 pm

I removed the nose fairing. It left the front of the clocks open and exposed to the weather, so I knew I had to make a screen to cover them and keep the rain out from the electrics there.

But my screen mount had to double up as a mounting point for my severed doll's head sculpture thingie which I had in Aus. Well, I've brought it this far and held onto it long enough, I'm blimmin' well going to use the fecker

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241141jh

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241142me

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241144ug

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Here's an early mockup with the lights on

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241191xa

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:28 pm

I ordered a sheet of 3mm thick polycarbonate to make a screen, it was supposedly grey tinted but it seems pretty clear to me. I'd have preferred a darker screen, but hey ho, I can paint it.
The stuff is dead easy to cut, bend and work with, though if you heat it too much bubbles form in it.
I'm trying for a ratfighter look and I don't want the "bike with a face" look, so wee screen and twin headlights it is.
And to prove they work, there's a photo with the lights on.....

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241206yg

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241207en

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241208sj

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:29 pm

My KLE survival bike project: sneak pics 30241232db

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by magnamaniac Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:05 pm

110-120 centigrades in the kitchen oven is the perfect temp to form this stuff. If not flexible enough, raise the temp in 10 degree steps. By 160 you're too far, it will bubble Razz
Like the look of the bike, especially the raised tank.

magnamaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by twofiddy Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Big Chris wrote:Are you going to Apocalyptica? We could exchange numbers there. If you're in a real rush to get shot of them I could ask my Dad to collect them and store them at his. He is 72 though, so sorting that might take  a while. What other KLE stuff do you have?

Wasn't planning on it, we have been considering it as quite a few folks from here seem to be going, but it'll be a last minute thing if we do go.

I don't mind them hanging around for a month or so Smile But that's a normal month not a russell couper month (aka six months to a year Razz).

twofiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down