Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys?

5 posters

Go down

Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys? Empty Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys?

Post by Monglord Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:20 pm

I found this pretty interesting.
The first thing I was taught on my British Aerospace apprenticeship was to file to within 7 thousandth of an inch (luckily I was a 'craft' apprentice and not a 'technician' as I would have had to file a completely spherical ball!), I've always used a light drag on the backstroke- I don't remember being told to lift the file completely off the work piece.
From this guys findings it would seem to make no difference to the sharpness of the file and productivity is increased with a light backstroke although I can't help thinking his test rig should have been orientated horizontally as this is how most filing jobs are done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbykic--SKA&ab_channel=FireballTool
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys? Empty Re: Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys?

Post by SneakyPete Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:17 am

I was instructed by my Dad how to file 'correctly' i.e. lift off on return. But the lesson that remains to this day is when filing rounded corners, always 'curve' the filing stroke away from the radius to get a uniform shape. Difficult to describe, but if you know, you know.

SneakyPete

Back to top Go down

Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys? Empty Re: Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys?

Post by Monglord Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:37 pm

I know.
(But had forgotten as it's been a loong time since I filed a rounded shape, although it might have come to me automatically once I had started- who knows? Who cares? Who wants another piece of cake?)
Monglord
Monglord

SneakyPete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by magnamaniac Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 pm

Did someone mention CAKE!?!? Any of you still use actual files or are you all angle grinder monkeys? 1f382

magnamaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBikeNate\m/ Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:33 am

I used a file to open a beer once, does that count?
RatBikeNate\m/
RatBikeNate\m/

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Angle grinder fucks things up quicker than a file, this means you get to 'fuck this shit, its beer oclock' quicker.

further drinking tips avaliable on request Laughing

virusjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down