Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally

5 posters

Go down

Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Empty Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally

Post by Monglord Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:59 pm

Loaded and ready for the off, nice bright 250 mile ride to the Giler Arms in North Wales for the BPMR.
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Dragon10
Engine warmed pasty was just lukewarm after an hour of riding when I arrived due to the low air temp. I suppose but still a welcome snack:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Pasty10
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Pasty_10
All set up and waiting for the Scottish and Midland contingent:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Bp_20211
This Uralista brought a heater for the whole campsite:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Ural_h11
Local beer:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Giler11
And a trophy for me, I reckon painting the wheel neon yellow when I got a new tyre fitted helped win this:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Bpmr_210
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Giler_11
Leaving the BPMR to head for the Dragon rally control after a nice cooked brekkie, the rain had already started:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Bpr_2010
Dragon rally control at the Conwy Mcc club house at Conwy Castle, the rain had stopped by now after an hours ride in the wet:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Dragon11
This BM was ridden by a lady of smaller stature and looked like it'd been squashed flat from a distance:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Bmw10
Another old CBR set up for comfort, note the footrest brackets to move the pegs and the lowered saddle- it was the guys wifes bike, a rare genuine ratbike:
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Cbr_dr10
So another hours ride to the site by which time I was completely damp through apart from my main core.
The last 3 or 4 miles were a proper battle against gale force winds and torrential rain riding into the valley the rally was held at the bottom of, for the first time in my riding career I had to lift my visor to see where I was going due to the sheer amount of rain (also inside my visor)- luckily we were only doing 20mph due to the road and conditions.
Not all of us stayed for the night (no names!) but I wasn't doing anymore riding that day thank you so I set up me tent, sorted my shit out best I could and had a couple of beers with Scott and Tony before getting a very early night.
Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Dr_20210
I had just enough dry clothes to spend a warm dry night in my tent, no sleep- just listening to the wind and rain and waiting for the inevitable time when I'd have to don my soaked through riding gear and ride 250 miles through the sodding rain to get home!
Sunday morning I just packed up and left, no brekkie, no cuppa- just heading home already wet from the outset.
Ride 40 miles on decent interesting roads, fill up.
Then it was just motorway hell with constant spray, massively reduced visibility and mentally telling myself I could do this- I've never been so wet for so long on a bike before, proper endurance test it was.
Ride 100 miles, fill up, huge hot chocolate to warm me core again, dry gloves (heaven for 30 mins before they were soaked, even through handlebar muffs which will get covered with plastic bags next time!).
Ride 110 miles and hot bath, pizza, bed.
Since getting home I have seriously reviewed my waterproof riding kit and kind of look forward to seeing if my efforts will pay off.
Monglord
Monglord

esox likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Empty Re: Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally

Post by esox Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:33 pm

Cheers for the report Hoon, sounds like it was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend.
esox
esox

Back to top Go down

Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally Empty Re: Bruce Pollard Memorial rally & Dragon rally

Post by Monglord Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:38 pm

Bits of it were.

I was glad to get away for a bit but am again happy not to do it again for a couple of years.
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by esox Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:51 pm

Monglord wrote:Bits of it were.

I was glad to get away for a bit but am again happy not to do it again for a couple of years.

Which was the best bit - the bit where you opened the garage door when you got back, bunged the bike in, shed all your `waterproofs`and walked into a warm house to put the kettle on and wondered why the feck you decided to do that rally again....?

Very Happy
esox
esox

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:02 pm

It could well have been the moment when I got home, whacked the central heating on full, had a hot bath and put dry clothes on- yes, I think it was then.

And yes I was already thinking about the next time I'll go for some strange fucked up reason.
7hrs solid riding in the pissing rain, did I mention I was piss wet through before heading home?
And I'm considering doing it again...what is wrong with me?
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoo Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:28 pm

Sunny Blighty.......

Got trenchfoot now?

voodoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Monglord Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:39 pm

I'm amazed not to have it.

The weather was very Welsh.
Monglord
Monglord

Back to top Go down

Post by esox Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:58 pm

There`s always plenty of weather in Wales.
esox
esox

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBikeNate\m/ Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:40 pm

Thanks for sharing, I feel like I was really there............and it sounded horrible and now I don;t have to go for real Very Happy
RatBikeNate\m/
RatBikeNate\m/

Monglord likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:09 pm

Cold wet and miserable, fantastic 😁
Bren
Bren

Monglord likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down