Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a petrol resistant sealant paste?

4 posters

Go down

Is there a petrol resistant sealant paste? Empty Is there a petrol resistant sealant paste?

Post by Big Chris Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:23 pm

The fuel tap on The Scream has a slight leak. I think it is from where the tap mates against the tank itself. I have replaced the rubber o-rings but still there's a weep. I have tightened the bolts as much as I dare without stripping threads.
My lazy instinct is to try a silicone-type sealant. I know that silicone is soluble in petrol, so is there a product which is petrol -proof?.

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Is there a petrol resistant sealant paste? Empty Re: Is there a petrol resistant sealant paste?

Post by voodoo Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:48 pm

Curil T2
Supposedly it is petrolproof, but no first hand experience.

voodoo

Back to top Go down

Is there a petrol resistant sealant paste? Empty Re: Is there a petrol resistant sealant paste?

Post by Big Chris Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:00 pm

Just googled it and checked the data sheets:

"Resistance resistant to mineral oils (also with additives), synthetic oils and greases, gasoline and diesel fuels,"

£12 per tube on Amazon

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by virusjohn Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:33 pm

plastic passing super steal fixed a hole in the corner of my old XJ9 petrol tank. Not sure how well it will behave around orings, threads and if you'll ever get the tap out again mind.

virusjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by der_nanno Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:36 am

I'd cut up a bit of a milk box, punch some holes in it and put it in between. OR even better use an old innertube. (They will dissolve over time though...)

der_nanno

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down