Ratbike Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free.

2 posters

Go down

2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. Empty 2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free.

Post by Big Chris Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:53 pm

I've taken these lights off my KLE500 survival bike. I am unlikely to use em again, I cannot bring myself to bin them as they work. So if you want them, pay the postage and I'l send them to you.

The circular one is a standard dominator aftermarket lamp. It takes a modern style H4 bulb (so has dip and main beam) and has a pilot light. But despite this, its light output isn't too good. Though on close inspection the glass is filthy, which probably doesn't help.

The one with a mesh guard over it was given to me by Spotarama, I have brought it back here from Australia. he gave it me for free, so I'm passing it on for free. It takes a single filament H3 bulb. It gives a wide flat beam. I think it was designed to hang under a car bumper and act as a fog light. To be honest it waasn't too great when I mounted it high up in front of a trailbike's clocks. It's made by Valeo, which is a French company, google suggests its a new incarnation of Cibie, who used to make stonkingly good rally car lights in the 70s and 80s.

the combined output of these lights was so poor that at night on country roads I couldn't see far enough ahead to confidently do 60mph. These lights slowed me down.

I have since replaced the lights for far brighter ones, so it is my poor skills which slow me down now.

If you want them, either collect from Edinburgh, or bung me a few quid for postage

2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. 39757860zd

2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. 39757861xd

2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. 39757862ae

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. Empty Re: 2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free.

Post by Big Chris Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 am

My goodness, ratbikers refusing the offer of free stuff. Whatever next?

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. Empty Re: 2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free.

Post by magnamaniac Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:04 pm

I would have wanted them, but the overseas postage doesn't weigh up to the value of the lights I'm afraid.
Another thing, on your KLE, do you run the stock airbox or some other setup?
Asking for a GPZ500S project, which is a similar engine. The original airbox wasn't usable, too big/long, but a KLE airbox is shorter.
2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. Img_2012

magnamaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Chris Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:27 pm

magnamaniac wrote:
Asking for a GPZ500S project, which is a similar engine. The original airbox wasn't usable, too big/long, but a KLE airbox is shorter.
2nd hand Matt black survival light Headlights, free. Img_2012

The GPZ airbox is massive, apparently it went through a lot of resonance testing in R&D, and is critical to the GPZ500S revving high and producung 60bhp. I'm not surprised it is too long for your project.

My KLE uses the stock KLE airbox. I don't like it because it the airfllow does 2 "Vertical U-turns" between the inlet tract and the carb mouth, the gas flow must be awful. By contrast the KLE engine produces 50bhp. Part of that is due to the airbox, partly the cams. However, the KLE airbox is short in the front-to-back dimension, instead it is quite tall, which may make it useful for your trike project.

Another thing I don't like about the KLE airbox is that the airfilter is a pig to get to, the fuel tank has to come off. Having done lots of off roading in sandy dusty conditions, I know that it is vital to clean the airfilter every day. On the KLR650 I had, the airfilter was easy to access. My KLE doesn't go offroad so it doesn't bother me so this isn't much of a concern, but if I was doing a desert crossing it would be awkward. I doubt that will be an issue for your trike project.

Similarly, for your trike project I doubt you'll be splitting hairs over 50bhp vs 60bhp, as 50bhp in that trike with your bum 30cm above the ground and a bicycle front end will be frightening enough. Very Happy

Big Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by magnamaniac Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Thanks for the info.
The engine did sort of run with the massive pod that's now on as air filter, but stall as soon as I even touch the throttle, even with 3/4 taped shut, so for that I'm gonna try a "stock" airbox. And indeed, I couldn't care less about that 10Bhp, For now I guess I won't be using much more than the first 2 gears without brown pants.
I bought an airbox yesterday, should be arriving tomorrow. I do hope I get the thing finished before the snow is gone here. Should be a hoot in these conditions. Apart from the airbox and the hope the carbs don't need tweaking with that, the only thing to be done is checking and probably adjusting the valves.
Damn, it was a bitch to get the coolant tubes out to lift the valve cover. The idiot that came up with that construction................

magnamaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down